9.17.2008

Old Crap Rehab No.1 - "Mom" tattooed mug

my idea: I had a customer who wanted a "Mom" tattooed heart mug. Rather than buying new, I always try to repurpose things. So how many of us have seen a ga-zillion perfectly happy and functional ceramics in thrift stores with something stupid on them that makes people get rid of an otherwise perfectly good liquid receptacle? I figured I would apply my tattoo skills to the mug and treat it like a tattoo cover-up, by tracing the original design and drawing a design over that one (yep, that's how we do it. Not rocket science)
my first step:
Tracing the design on the original mug (from World Market, apparently. I bought it for like  $0.30 USD). Frankly, if my mug was instructing me to drink only tea, I might have gotten rid of it too. Demanding ceramics are a drag.



next: I drew on the design with a Pebeo Ceramic Paint marker which was a bitch.

then I: filled in the design with the Pebeo Ceramic Paint, which was more like 8 
bitches in a bitch boat. I had to glop is on and use about 4 coats to get even close to the opacity I needed. Still, I think it looked pretty neat.

after that was over: I went to bed, and let the paint set up overnight, baking it the next evening. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result

Photobucket

3 comments:

Brook said...

that looks great... How do you have to wash it? by hand? I want to try using that stuff on glass... shit whats it called... etching cream I think? you know what I am talking about?

LaurenB said...

etching cream works great, but only on clear glass. I would think if this stuff is dishwasher safe, then washing it by hand or in the dishwasher is a-ok

LeaKarts said...

"Frankly, if my mug was instructing me to drink only tea, I might have gotten rid of it too. Demanding ceramics are a drag."

I don't know if I laughed harder at that or the bitches in a bitch boat! Haha! Great mug, makes me want to give it a try.